[pct-l] Clearly, the PCT needs shelters

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu May 29 16:22:18 CDT 2008

Respectfully, you're out of date.

While I totally support your idea for a covered trail, I submit that the trail should be excavated and a moving sidewalk system installed from border to border. Since we're going to all that trouble, let's totally enclose the moving sidewalk to protect it from the elements. Having gone to the trouble and expense to enclose it, logic dictates it be made a year-round attraction by installing thermostatically controlled HVAC systems.

Copious use of Plexiglas picture windows should be made for through-hiker viewing.  A desirable option would be headphones and a pre-recorded tape loop at each significant viewpoint offering the hiker details regarding what is visible. To help pay for this, vending machines can be installed that deliver pre-packaged photos so camera gear is reduced to an optional carry item for only a few hardy souls.

Because this is supposed to be a true backcountry wilderness experience, the powers that be should resist the urging of the Whimps to install such luxury amenities as moving benches, room service, and luggage racks. Everyone is expected to carry their own load on their back all the way. This trail is only for those hearty souls willing to suffer for their thrills.

If the Canadian government balks at completing their short section into Manning Park, Congress should first attempt to buy the land from them and extend the US border accordingly. Failing that, the CIA can surely document the probable presence of threatening WMDs in the area so El Prezidente can (once again) order the invasion of that backward nation in order to protect the American way of life. It is NOT about oil. Never mind the fact that the last two times the USA tried that, the Canadians beat the Holy _ _ _ _ out of us. Maybe they'll be asleep at the switch this time and our mini-blitzkrieg will catch them by surprise.

It's time for my medications now.

Wandering Boob