[pct-l] the fuss about prepardness

Austin Williams longwalk2653 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 16:31:46 CDT 2008

I think it is not fair to mistake going ultra-light with going unprepared
for rain/snow.  I am a solo ultralighter.  So, naturally, I don't rely on
anyone (wouldn't do it even if traveling in a pack... it's just a matter of
principal).  The gear that I bring was specifically chosen *for* rain and
unseasonably cold weather.  The gear that I'm bringing for my SOBO thru this
year is the same gear I tested/used during the *winter* here in N. Oregon
(nasty, sleety, rainy, snowy, cold, grossness...).  The way I see it - if my
8-9 lbs (base) system works for me in the (above 10 degrees F)* winter*, it
should surely work for me in the summer/early fall.  (Please correct me if
I'm wrong, experienced people, I'll listen).

I think it comes down to style preference and skills.  Hell, Survivorman
throws himself into all kinds of terrain in all kinds of weather with *
nothing* and does fine.  Talk about Super-ultra-light!... :) .  I, for one,
need my sleeping bag, tarp, fuel tablets, aqua mira, and xtra socks.
Other's may need a tent, boots, water filters, and whatever else it is that
heavier-packers bring with them (I'm kind of curious, actually).

I agree that there is a certain point when you have to tell an idiot he's an
idiot... *for his own safety.* But I also think that HYOH should perhaps be
extended to be: HYOY&LOHT (HYOH and Let Others Hike Their's).

All this non-sense aside, I really look forward to seeing some of you on the
trail this summer.  I can almost smell the mountain air now!

_Austin