[pct-l] Ugly Unprepared Disgusting Entitled Hikers

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Thu May 29 19:41:35 CDT 2008

And you know El Aviator - my goal is to keep you warm.  You heard about our
new California law right?  You can come on down and we can make this legal
now!

Seriously though, too often I find people take on a self righteous posture
under the guise of caring.  I know well the lure of being right.  Fanatics
and extremist over history have shown the addictive nature the position
holds.  Without a self-check, the results are always counter productive.
I get uncomfortable when energetic pontificating is disguised as caring
about some problem, issue, or cause.  Not that I think people who are
harshly condemning or judging others don't care about the cause, but the
chest thumping and energy at that point in the dialog has left the realm of
caring and is firmly in the realm of self righteousness.  If caring about a
cause is by definition wanting to instrument change, then I think we have to
ask ourselves, "Are my actions or words helping to edge us toward the
desired change, or am I just making me feel good about being 'right'?"
Because the latter will likely hinder the progress instead of help.   I
recognize it only because the emotion and act resides in me too.   I am not
immune.

On a more critical note and in the more extreme cases, there are too many
people who are very insecure.  In this constant state of low-level fear they
often have a need to be overly critical of others in an attempt to raise
themselves up.   Of course, since the tonic is false it wears off quickly
and the act of berating others becomes a necessary habit.   That dynamic
compounds dramatically the problem above.

I have been guilty of these actions myself and I hope my own awareness will
steer me clear in the future.   It was those thoughts that took me to
consider my own imperfections as a way of staying grounded in my dialogs -
even behind the safety of my computer.

Well, even after all that - it is of course still sappy.  But I am a sappy
guy, no doubt.

Peace, Love, and Bobby Sherman -
PG

  _____