[pct-l] the fuss about prepardness

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Fri May 30 02:05:54 CDT 2008

Ralph wrote:

Two or three years ago I read Larry Gonzale's Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who
Dies and Why. It made me realize that a lot of my 50+ years of backpacking
"experience" was just good luck, repetitive carelessness vs the odds of a
bad event. Since that book, I particularly take care on PCT sections not to
do two or more dumb things the same day.

I've read that book *several* times and it's excellent.  For anyone who enjoys the outdoors and likes thinking about why we do the dumb things we sometimes do, I highly recommend it.  There are lots of super-important lessons in that book that I hope will stick in my brain should I ever need them.  Even as much as I've read it, I still sometimes find myself making exactly the rationalizations the book talks about, and I have to slap myself and mutter, "BE HERE NOW!"

Seriously, put it on your reading list if you've never had the pleasure.

Eric