[pct-l] guidebook pages

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sat May 31 23:29:08 CDT 2008

How about doing both?  Cut up the guidebooks AND copy them.  Cutting the books up first makes it easier to scan/copy with an autofeeder. :p

Actually, I got the idea from a hiker who attempted to hike in 2007 and had to quit from injury rather quickly.  He essentially made his own personalized electronic edition by scanning the books with OCR software and editting them with other information while deleting what he didn't need (and no, he isn't sharing with anyone so buy your own books).  While I don't have any plans to carry an electronic reader, I thought this was a great idea of having just what you need with any extra info that you want to add from other sources.  You could even print them on the back of maps with editted water info added since there are sources for freee downloadable topo maps of the trail.  Afterall, those of us hiking in 2009 have almost a year to waste; especially if they already have most of their gear and trail tested it.  And if we don't don't waste it playing with the guidebooks, we are likely to spend more time causing problems here. ;)

-Sean