[pct-l] Misc. ramblings from Peru

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 12:54:29 CDT 2008

This list has really gone to crap lately!

Have you seen the list of Time's 50 greatest inventions for 2008? Here is one that won't lighten up your load, but could lighten up your trail (and MP3, Cell, GPS, etc.). Hopefully they can get it lighter if it gets into production.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1852747_1854195_1854172,00.html

#33. Biomechanical Energy Harvester
"Wasting energy is so 20th century. Power is all around us, if we just know how to use it. That's what motivated Max Donelan, a kinesiologist at Simon Fraser University, to invent a device that harnesses the energy of walking. The 3.5-lb. device wraps around the wearer's knee and generates power using the same principle that allows hybrid cars to recycle energy created by braking. A walker wearing harvesters on both knees could generate about five watts of power — enough to charge 10 cell phones — without hampering his or her stride. Donelan's device is perhaps the most promising in a class of products that harvest energy — all the more important at a time when portable tech, from Blackberries to iPods, is becoming ubiquitous. There's not a watt to waste."

Speaking of harnessing energy, my lunch is cooking right now outside in my solar cooker, roast chicken, carrots and potatoes. It takes about 2 hours. I make the same (also with beef) for treks with my clients, a pot roast supper has been a big hit the first night on the trail. Sure it is heavy to carry but it is not a big deal for only 6-8 hours. I cut the meat up into bite sized pieces and then freeze it in quart sized zip bags. Those of you with dehydrators would be able to reduce the load quite a bit. I also take a lightweight fry pan and make grilled cheese sandwiches, so much more tasty than cold cheese sandwiches, some also add tuna for a tuna melt. Here are some photos of the solar cookers.

http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=741285309&k=X2GZZ45XW45MXFBGPB6TX

Probably the most popular item though is no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies, the kind that kids used to make as their "first" cookies. I usually put extra margarine in them so they come out more fudgy. Sure they are heavy too, but someone always volunters to carry them, so they can keep an eye on them and make sure no one gets more than their fair share! Here is my recipe.

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. cocoa
1 c. white sugar, 1c. brown sugar
3 c. oatmeal (regular or quick cooking)
1/2 c. milk (whole or condensed is best) I use 1/3 c. whole powered milk & 1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together all ingredients except oatmeal and vanilla. Let boil for 3 minutes. Add vanilla and oatmeal. Mix well and drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet or waxed paper. Let cool. Lately I have been just spreading out the whole amount on the cookie sheet and cutting it into pieces after it cools.

Lastly, another great hiking food, or for short backpacking trips, cheddar cheese biscuits. Here is the basic recipe I use. However again I just spread all the dough on a cookie sheet and cut it up after it has baked.

http://www.landolakes.com/mealIdeas/ViewRecipe.cfm?RecipeID=4695&cid=79

Well the chicken pot roast is ready so time to eat.

Sugar Daddy

Interested in a South American Adventure? I have started an Adventure Travel Business in Peru.
http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

Have a look at my blog to see photos and stories of ministry and other activities I am involved in here.
http://vichanson.spaces.live.com/

Check out the stories of my adventures in Peru and other places:
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Vic_Hanson