[pct-l] Light Weight Boots

Greg Mikol greg.mikol at ieee.org
Sun Nov 2 14:21:54 CST 2008

>One boot I rarely see mentioned here that I absolutely love
>is the Merrell 3/4 height boot. Lightweight, durable and
>comfortable right from the box, they seem to wear well, have
>plenty of toe room and come in various widths, as well as a
>shoe if one doesn't care for the boot form.

Do these Merrell boots have a name?

Also, I want to give a +1 to Girlscout's suggestion of the
Vasque Breeze. It was hard for me to find many boots in a size
14, so I took to asking stores "What boots do you have in a 14"
instead of "Do you have Boot X in a 14". OMC did, and they fit
perfectly, and still do.

I would recommend the Breeze GTX XCR model over the
regular model. My wife has the regular model, and the mesh
tends to let in *a lot* of sand/grit when hiking around the
Cascade volcanoes. The GTX still breathes really well, but does
a much better job of keeping trail dirt (and water) out. I have
about 500 miles on the PCT with these, and nary a blister or
bruised toenail.

--Greg