[pct-l] Light Weight Boots

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Nov 3 19:42:48 CST 2008

On Nov 3, 2008, at 4:51 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> The A16 shoe fitters vary from store to store, I have found.  The
> best fitters by far are in the Averado Canyon store, in San Diego
> Mission Valley.

I have never had good luck with people fitting my shoes. They always
pick shoes that are too small. I don't have much luck picking them
out myself, either. My feet just do not fit the mold.

The best shoes I wore on the trail were a men's size 10. Some kind of
river hiking shoe by Columbia that I bought at the outlet mall in
Cabazon. I brought my sore and blistered feet in the store with my
backpack and tried every shoe. Men's size 10 is 5 sizes bigger than
my professionally fitted women's size 7 Merrils. With that huge size
I had no trouble. Blisters cleared up (eventually) and I never had a
problem with them being too big. My feet did not slip around inside,
for example. I filled them up with extra insoles (superfeet plus some
squishy foam ones) and two pairs of socks. After my feet started
filling them up themselves, I wore only one pair of socks. They were
so comfy I preferred wearing them to my croc camp shoes. I almost
sent the crocs home, but they were too convenient for middle of the
night peeing.

My feet grew two sizes after my hike. I found some men's size 8.5
that fit wide enough. New Balance, of course. They actually feel a
little too big. If I could hike barefoot I would. Shoes are just too
variable and unreliable.