[pct-l] Sun Hat

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 14:52:13 CST 2008

There are many answers as there are hikers. :)

In general, a wide brimmed hat seems to work well for most people.

I like a military style "boonie" hat as it is stiffer brimmed (easy to flip up for photos!) and cheap. NyCo blend that seemed to work well. I wear it with a bandanna underneath.  Sheds rain and light snow easy enough (ie. keeps the rain out of my eyes)

Used this type (or similar) hat on the PCT, CDT and for local Colorado hiking. I did use a Tilley Hat for the Colorado Trail, but too heavy for my tastes. Plus, I like the dirt-bagging aesthetic of an Army-Navy store $8 boonie-type hat. :)

An "action" shot of the hat:
http://snipurl.com/543sa  [www_pmags_com]

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com