[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 10

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Nov 7 09:44:06 CST 2008

On Nov 7, 2008, at 5:47 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Next summer, my friend and I are planning on doing an out and back
> on our
> horses on the PCT going north from Highway 36/Chester (we'll stay
> at the St.
> Bernard Lodge with our horses before departing) towards Lassen
> Park.  What
> can anyone tell me about the PCT terrain (single track/fire road,
> steep,
> rocky, flat, cliffs, etc.) and also any suggestions for water
> sources and/or
> camping areas in this area?  Thanks much.

The trail is relatively flat. There is a hill down to Chester-Childs
Meadow. Then you climb a bit over a hill to Warner Valley, then climb
again into a lake-blessed region (if you take the lake-blessed
alternative route) where it is very flat all the way through to
Badger Pass and beyond to Hat Creek.

Lots of water available: Stover Spring, Feather River, Domingo
Spring, a couple of creeks, Warner Valley, the lakes on the
alternative route.

Camping at Warner Valley was too expensive for a thru-hiker, about
$14. I stealth camped.

It's a trail, not a mountain bike route (which I believe is where the
term "single-track" comes from), and not a fire road.

Piper