[pct-l] New Pocket Mail-type device

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 17:23:54 CST 2008

>On Nov 13, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Postholer wrote:
> Word of caution, this device only works with POP3 and not SMTP.

To which Gary W. responded:

>>This doesn't sound quite right to me.  POP3 is for reading email.
>>SMTP is for *sending* email.

I think he means IMAP.

If so, that is too bad. Makes it more of a PITA to sync up your e-mail on multiple systems.... You can leave a copy
of the mail on the server with most e-mail clients, but it is not as elegant as IMAP and may take up space you
don't have.

Of course, some e-mail providers (Yahoo for example, IIRC) do not provide IMAP services and only have POP mail for
the average person.

The simple solution would be to create a temp account for the length of the hike. Or just tell Outlook (or hopefully
the mail client in PEEK to leave a copy of the mail on the server you have it on PEEK and on say your Yahoo account)

(In non Geek speak, POP means you download all the mail to one unit only.  IMAP means your mail is stored and
synched up on multiple machines.)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com