[pct-l] Thru-hiking in 3 months?

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 18 20:15:58 CST 2008

Magda wrote:

I realize that it's going to mean a lot of
training before I get out there, much, much longer days, no zeros, and
mostly hiking solo

I think you pretty much answered your own question.  It's been done before by several people, so sure, it's doable . . . *if* you're extremely fit, mentally tough, and really, really like to walk all day every day.  Just don't underestimate the difficulty of the task.  Thru-hiking in 5 months is one thing, but thru-hiking in three months is a whole 'nother level of crazy.  At that level of performance, it's not just a matter of deciding you want to do it.  Most people are simply not physically or mentally capable of averaging ~30 miles per day every single day for three months straight.  A few people are blessed with what it takes, but most are not.  If you are, then go for it!

The good news is that once you're out there, you'll figure out pretty quickly whether or not you're on track to meet your goal.  If you're not, well, you can just relax and do however much of the trail you can do in three months, then come back for the rest of it some other time.

The best advice I can give you is to do a lot of thinking beforehand about what you want to get out of your hike.  If you want to enjoy yourself, optimize for that.  If you want to finish the trail in one season, optimize for that.  Given your three month window, those two goals *may* be mutually exclusive.  Or maybe not.  It's up to you to decide.  <grin>

Eric