[pct-l] Piper's Flight

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 19 14:59:54 CST 2008

Piper wrote:

So
those of you who are agonizing about your 3 month limit, don't fret
it too much. You'll have a fabulous time and you'll leave a little
leftover for later. I'm looking forward to finishing the trail
someday. When I do, that'll make it two life-changing adventures for
the price of one trail!

I think this is a good point to reinforce - in my section hikes through Oregon and Washington, I've met a lot of thru-hikers who are having a blast and don't want it to end, but I've also met a lot of thru-hikers who are sick of the trail after ~2000 miles and just want it to be over as quickly as possible.  I vividly remember talking to one guy a few years ago who said, "Every night I dream I'm in my bed at home, and every morning when I wake up I'm still out here on this @#$%*& trail."  Those folks slog through the last several hundred miles not to enjoy the experience but just because after all they've invested already they just can't bring themselves to quit short of the border.  Overall, I think 2650 miles is about 500 miles too long for many people.

All that to say - whether you have six months or three months to hike, don't be afraid to aim for completing just part of the trail rather than doing the whole dang thing in one go.  Sure, it may not seem as "epic" to others, but for some people it can be much more enjoyable.  Just think about what's most important to you and do that.  Don't get sucked into other people's definition of success.

That said, when I finally get an opportunity to do a five-month hike, I'm pretty sure I'm going to drive as hard as I can to hike from border to border.  I just can't resist the siren song.  <grin>

Eric