[pct-l] Hiker Privacy and Safety

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:46:03 CST 2008

Being a trail angel up at the tail north end of the PCT........I have never
had a hiker in 6 years convey to me or my husband that they require
anonymity. Everyone signs the register. Everyone poses for photos both
individual and group. They all know they will end up in our annual video.
Most hikers want their travels to be posted so family and others CAN track
the progress. They are very proud of their accomplishments. There's no more
privacy out on the trail than there is at a public football game. Everyone
has cameras and everyone talks to each other.  If a hiker needs to be
invisible while they are hiking they need to not talk with anyone, hide
their face  and don't sign any register with your real or trail name.
It's your responsibility to remain anonymous......not ours. The trail is
definitely a very public and highly advertised place. Hike the trail and
have a good time. You're safer out with all the hiker trash than you are in
your home town. Hiker trash with care for you if you are hurt or sick. Hiker
trash with protect you again anything. They become your family by the time
you finish the hike. Quit being paranoid and enjoy the hike.  You are not
out there by yourself.

PCT MOM