[pct-l] Hiker Privacy and Safety

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 18:45:10 CST 2008

Meadow Ed here....
Well i can agree with Donna for the most part  we also have to be aware this knowledge of trail dangers may also cause some newbie to either not hike the trail or to  be scrared stiff of encountering some creep. However, if this warning helps keep even one hiker alive then it has its merits.  The hikers who come into Aqua Dulce this past decade have been lucky to a good degree. This is one of two road walks where the PCT is on a narrow  two lane paved road and it does cross Sierra Highway before going back into the brush.  It can be a long dark hike both coming into town as well as out in the wee hours. There is perhaps more possibilty of encountering  people who are not  even aware of who hikers even are out there.  True you enter this section at Cajon Pass where theres lots more folks about  but your not so alone there. Section C also has a couple of prisoner camps  hikers pass close too. Even i hate to car camp at Messenger Flats on the 2 weekends
 that familys come up for a visit.

Andreas comments about we are all family is true to a certain sense but sometimes it takes weeks for this all to happen to the group.  Yes the PCT hikers have been pretty safe for the most part on the trail. Few incidents even seem to mar the safty of the trail heads.  I think anyone who is thinking of doing the trail who has some concerns if they are doing it alone need to go to trail journals to see how other solo hikers delt with this apperication of fear issue Donna bring up.  Could it happen, yes of course, Does it happen,  i am not aware of any serious problems. Just like in the real world many murders seem to be crimes of passion or where the victem is know by the  perp. so maby it is safer out there on trail.

What ever it takes for you to feel safer out there then by all means do it. There is way too many things to deal with on the trail without being afraid of it...............