[pct-l] For newcomers...

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Nov 21 20:52:02 CST 2008

One of the great attributes of this listserv is that everyone is on the
virtual trail, on our best behavior when we meet someone, and as the
relationship develops and deepens, we show our warts.

I remember meeting Gizmo, Donkey and Godman on the second day of their
section hike (stevens pass to Whitney) and crossing paths for 500 miles
or so til I left the trail.  My friend Deniece and I passed their tents
a couple mornings in a row, chortling about sleeping in.  We actually
met them face-to-face hiking up past Spectacle Lake.  It was a 17 mile
day for us, and we were absolutely wasted.  Gizmo got the falls section
and stood on the bridge and howled.  Deniece and I, she at 39, me at 54,
laughed in appreciative, tired humor - the enthusiasms of youth.   The
three had just graduated from college and were "doing their tour."  We
veered off to the lake while they took our recommendation and spent the
night on the ridge above.

I drank many beers with them at the brewpub in Cascade Locks.  Gizmo was
a philosophy major, musician and angst driven.  Donkey was an engineer
and big thinker, from working class roots, and as down to earth as any
22 year old man can be.  Godman was a wanna-be-lawyer on his way to
Boalt or some such prestigious law school.

I'm in contact with all three, albeit once a year emails.  Donkey
stopped by a year ago on his way to Oregon to start a new job that would
send him to India to work with different villages, teaching them how to
build environmentally friendly stoves.  We smoked some very, very strong
pot - I'm an intermittant smoker now - we have a random drug testing
policy at work - and I wasn't used to be really, really high with other
people in the room.  We ended up playing scrabble for hours after
reminsicing about our 05 trip.

The point I'm making is that intense relationships develop rapidly on
the trail.  When Jane and I were hiking from Lassen to Whitney in 1991
we met the northbound pack, and spent time in Sierra City with a couple
guys with whom we bonded intensely.  And we weren't even hiking with
them.  When the busyness of day to day civilized life is sloughing off
like old skin, I found I revel in being with someone who can manage my
intensity.  For the most part, that's other thru- and section hikers.
The people who leave drinks and offer rides - trail angels - were really
nice, but to me, they always seemed a little outside.  I appreciated
their efforts and concern, but the bonding wasn't there.  Appreciation
is huge...

Hiking as a couple insulates.  The long conversations within lack of
surfacing civilized bus-y-ness simply don't happen.  I'd be interested
to hear if this is so for others who have hiked as couples.  When I've
hiked as a single person, I can meet someone really quickly, and really
deeply, and the bond generated could be lifelong - if my bus-y-ness when
I re-enter the regular would let me take time to visit, or even call.  I
remember meeting a thruhiker in 1994 next to Dorothy Lake who'd started
a month after the pack, and was about to catch them.  The hour we spend
together was magical.  We exchanged info, but neither of us did anything
after our trips.  That's probably normal.  Is it???

I also have found that the younger you are, the more likely you are to
be uncomfortable being alone.  Have others seen this too???

Let me say I'd much rather hike with a lover than alone.  The memories I
have of the 30 days I spent on the trail with Jane in 1991 are some of
the most powerful in my life.  Some of them do involve sex - I will just
say that making love in a sun-filled meadow at mid-day 100' off the
trail on a blue foam pad is simply wonderful. No weirdness here.  Just a
really, really fond and vibrant memory...  The conversations that go on
24/7 with a lover do nothing but add to the intensity of being on the
trail and losing bus-y-ness.  My next trip - hopefully in 2010 - will be
with a someone who can become a lover, at least an intense friend.

A little less, I'd rather hike with a friend than alone.  I've been
hiking with Deniece for five years or so, a week each summer, and her
husband "loans" her to me.  I joke, but it's almost true.  His idea of a
vacation is a B&B in London and a play every night.  She's a friend, and
because she's younger, can outwalk me when I come from work to the trail.

When I start a section hike, I'm usually out of shape. My folks put a
pack on my back when I was eight years old, and my body remembers what
hiking is.  If I am able to hike for four or five weeks, I move beyond
the "potential injury due to pot belly" stage into feeling vibrant and
powerful.  I read a book a couple years ago named, "Why Michael can't
Hit."  It was written by a sports physiologist and he argued that bodily
memory is pretty much cemented by the age of 15.  The earlier you start
a sport, or anything for that matter, the greater the possibility is
that you'll be good at it.  When I hit the trail, I'm home...  As long
as I don't sprain an ankle, I'll drop a pound a day until homeostasis...

I find it amazing how quickly the bus-y-ness drops away now.  A week
alone and I'm walking down the trail ready to meet someone
soul-to-soul.  The sloughing is quicker as I grow older and spend more
time on the trail.  To be sure many times the early 20s hikers and I
meet, but it's awkward.  A couple summers ago on a section hike I met
two men and a woman at Richardson Lake in the central Sierra.  I'd
camped at one end of the dirt 4 wheel drive tracks, and they came in
late and camped at the other end.  There were lots of mosquitos, which
don't bother me much.  That was the topic of our conversation as I
headed out at 6AM.  They were waking up and coping while I was on the
trail and reveling.  I wanted to bond, but it wasn't there...

In 1994 I was camped at Lemiti Creek in central Oregon, in my tent an
hour before sunset, reading, dozing, ready to sleep.  Five guys came in,
set up camp 20' from me, built a fire, and proceeded to smoke pot and
get wild.  20' away...

Finally, I got up and pretended I was a loony, excoriating them for
being noisy in the gentle quietness of Oregon's forest, but finally
accepting a couple hits from mediocre pot.  I still got up the next
morning and left before they were stirring...

I'd rather hike with a friend than alone.  But you know, I'm planning to
hike for a month this summer from Castella to Bend or Mt. Hood -
depending on mileage - alone.  I get really quirky when I hike alone.  I
become hyper-aware and time slows to a crawl.  I like it when I'm out of
shape.  I walk and lie down, nap, read and then sleep, and that's it.
When I get in shape, and have done my 20 miles by 3PM, I'm antsy.  I
don't have experience pushing the mileage beyond the low 20s - I guess
it's my frontier.  I don't read when I'm in shape.  I need something
else.  Hmmm...

I think that's why I've accepted I like hiking with a friend.  It's like
developing an idea with a someone and writing a manuscript together.  I
have my life and they theirs, but we have a common project - hiking -
and that's enough...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD
"Jeff, just Jeff," said to the cadence of "Bond, James Bond."