[pct-l] Hiking Alone

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 13:44:47 CST 2008

>>I also have found that the younger you are, the more likely you are to
>>be uncomfortable being alone.  Have others seen this too???
My long hikes have been solo affairs.

I did my first long(ish) hike in 1997 at 23 yo. It was Vermont's Long Trail and the thought of hiking of nearly 300 miles
 with another person never crossed my mind.

Since that first step in Vermont, my long distance hiking "career" has been one of loose partnerships at best
, but being by myself for the most part.

I don't know if it is an age thing, but a personality thing.

Many of my friends can't comprehend thet "Thanks, but I'd rather hike by myself" sentiment.   Many thru-hikers don't like hiking solo either

At this point in my life, I estimate I've spent ~2 yrs cumulative by myself in th backcountry, (Long hikes, throw in some weekend or so things too).

That's a long time to be in your own head. It may also explain a lot about me. :D

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com