[pct-l] Hiking Alone

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Sat Nov 22 16:02:31 CST 2008

Mags,

Great post!  I concur with you that it is more likely a personality thing.  I am one of those that thoroughly enjoyed the long periods of solo time that I spent on the trail in 2006.

I know that I'll probably catch some flack for this, but in my humble opinion, as soon as you make the decision to hike with others and form the ad-hoc social groups that are often seen along the trail, one is no longer "hiking your own hike".  Nope, at that point a good majority of the people are "hiking the group hike".  Decisions are made as a group and frankly there is compromise and give and take.  Nothing wrong with this style of hike, but rarely would groups stay together for long periods of time if each person were truely "hiking your own hike".

In 2006 I spent the better part of 1000 miles hiking with a wonderful couple and I will cherish this time forever, however, I rarely felt as though the decisions the group made were mine.  I know that I compromised my own personal desires at times to remain wit these wonderful folks.  Heck, we were the three amigos!

Anyhow, in Old Station, I decided it was time that I truely attempted to hike my own hike and the only way to accomplish this was to set off on my own and this is what I did all the way to the Canadian Border.  It was a wonderful experience and I thoroughly enjoyed confronting the challenges and decisions with no other input.  There was no pressure from others as to make or not make a town stop, to zero or nero, to walk through the fire closure or to hike 3 miles or 30 miles in a day.

I realize this type of hike is not for everyone.  Not preaching this at all.

Elevator

From: Paul Magnanti <pmags at yahoo.com>