[pct-l] hiker safety ((( DOGS)))

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Nov 22 18:30:07 CST 2008

Hikers have been shot at on trail. . . I've heard multiple accounts of this.
I just happened to a southbound hiker this season (hunters fired the shot).
Several accounts of shootings happened in the Cottonwood Creek area of the
Mojave in the late 90s. There was another further north that happened to two
sobos. Isolated incidents of a sort that happen all over, in the city and in
the country.

Most of the scary encounters hikers have experienced and told us about have
happened when in campgrounds where people car camp, or while hitching,
trailheads, or in towns. Even the current stalking issue has been confined
to trail junctions with roads.  I can't recall one story where anyone had
trouble of a sinister human kind actually on the PCT tread involving hikers.

The stories of amazing human kindness, and unbelievable trail magic,
encountered with strangers on or off the trail far outweigh the cautionary
tales.

L-Rod