[pct-l] January Start?

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Sat Nov 22 20:21:06 CST 2008

What Eric said can't be underscored enough. As a winter mountaineering
instructor, my advise (unless you have the requisite skills and experience)
to all aspiring pct hikers is to not enter the Sierra until the pack is
consolidated and stabile, say around April 1st. Once again, hiking on snow,
whether 3 or 20 feet, is no different relative to the skills required to
make it through safe and dry. Get specific pre-trip training and take a few
practice trips before you start. Know what to watch out for and when to turn
around or stay still for a few days.

In essence, an early start, one in March, which will put you in the Sierra
in early April, is relatively safe for snow travel; any time earlier is too
risky for the average pct hiker.

Mtnned