[pct-l] GPS

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 12:33:17 CST 2008

I carry a gps which I turn on a couple of times a day when I need an exact
location. I display the gps location using UTM coordinates instead of
latitude longitude, because everything is in 10ths and easy to estimate. I
use National Geographic Topo State software for California Oregon and
Washington<http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&mi=10248&pw=9461&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F737983>to
print the maps I carry with me. I print my Topo maps with UTM grids.
It
is important to specify that you want your grids at 1000 meter intervals,
not miles, so you can easily estimate distance between grids.The GPS I have
(Garmin Etrex Vista C) does load maps, and I usually do that, but rarely
care about having the map in the gps. Any gps that displays utm coordinates
would do. It is critical to carry hardcopy maps with utm coordinates.

--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/gps.html