[pct-l] GPS

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 15:41:16 CST 2008

I also have to 'second' Bill's two posts...

I, too, have the ForeTrex - small, lightweight, sufficient functions...  I carry it only for 'project' work and/or for fun, however - it is NOT on my PCT Thru gear list (I don't think it's a 'must have' item to warrant the extra weight on a thru-hike, but I will retain the option to change my mind and it 'might' reside in my bounce bucket - "just in case")...
When used, I don't have it on constantly (making a 'track'), only infrequently checking location or marking select spots (waypoints) for later reference on NG TOPO! 'State Series' software - one set of batteries usually last me (more than) a full season with my limited use approach...  One should still have 'map & compass' skills for basic navigation and not rely solely on a GPS (or any electronic 'gadget'), IMHO...

As Bill mentioned, the PCT Atlas, <http://pctatlas.com/>, has UTM grid lines...  I can't wait until the other volumes are out in March (the already released SoCal Volume 1 should be updated/revamped to match the improved WA Volume 5 about the same time, hopefully)...  Right now, I think the PCT Atlas will be the only on-trail resource I use, but the WP guide books and Data Book will still get much use at home in my PCT 'library'...

Halfmile's PCT maps, <http://www.pctmap.net/index.html>, also have the UTM grid lines...
California sections A through Q are currently available...  Another great resource, and for those on a tight budget - you can't beat the price!

Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA