[pct-l] Boy Scouts and trail etiquette

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Mon Nov 24 15:43:59 CST 2008

This is very disappointing. I can guarantee you that none of this behavior
is acceptable to the Scouting organization. Unfortunately, there are some
leaders who fail to get trained properly and find it easier to let the
"boys be boys" rather than teach them better. Please do let the Scout
Council office that serves Camarillo know what you saw. They "should" have
a Trip Permit on file that would tell them what troop did this and
hopefully provide a bit of education.

I have been a member of BSA for over 30 years. I tell the guys that I love
the wilderness and they are going to respect it or they aren't going to
go.

The best compliment I had backpacking was on the Muir Trail when our troop
had set up camp at Tyndall Creek. We found a quiet spot off the trail,
away from the many other groups that had similar schedules. Later as
others showed up, several wanted to camp with us instead of the partiers
in the larger camp areas. I was shocked, then pleased, realizing the
compliment. They said they meant it as such, that when they first saw our
troop t-shirts a few days earlier they were worried, but said we were the
best behaved group on the whole trail.

AsABat