[pct-l] Boy Scouts and trail etiquette

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 25 16:38:55 CST 2008

It is so true that it only takes a few to spoil things for the many.

This is a huge subject and a growing problem amongst the thrus, from many reports.  While the offenders are a tiny percentage of a larger, infinitely more wonderful group, the behavior of a few and the swath of litter they leave really gets noticed.  In addition to careless sanitation habits, vandalization, and littering, PCT hikers have been responsible for numerous fires over the years.  The Apache Fire this past spring was one of them. I am sickened every time a hiker speaks of lighting fires every night out in our desperately dry terrain so prone to wild fires.  Fire rings are a blight and eyesore as well as being dangerous.  Alcohol stoves have been the culprit in more than a few wild fires started by thrus.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Scouts themselves are not to blame; they are children being taught by adult leaders who are apparently untrained.  Remembering back to my days as a den mother and cubmaster, recruiting parents isn't the easiest thing in the world.  One could only hope that volunteers had common sense.  As we all know, there's no guarantees of that anywhere to be found.

L-Rod