[pct-l] Low cost Thru

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Wed Nov 26 22:36:42 CST 2008

As Steel-Eye has pointed out, how much the hike costs depends both on
how you spend you money and what you count.

The overall approach is to figure (estimate) what your financial
position is at the end of your hike (and back to work if relevant)
compared to what it would be if you had not hiked and carried on your
usual non-hike life..  Even with this approach, one must do some
estimating, but this will get you close to the real amount.

Then if you want to go further into the future, try to estimate your
life time earnings and/or financial position at retirement if you did
hike or didn't. Lots of imponderables here.  Do you become addicted to
thru-hiking? Or will the experience enrich you such that you earn more?
And then what is the value of the additional money to you versus the
enjoyment you have?

I guess the end answer is that the overall cost of a thru hike is
impossible to measure.

One will never have enough information to make a decision. One gets the
information one can and then decides with a leap of faith that one has
chosen  the best alternative.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>