[pct-l] Permits

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 23:48:55 CST 2008

Hey Sean -

Brad and Len point out the sites where you can get the basics.  It
may not be obvious though that the thru-permit - which requires you
to have the intent of hiking 500 or more miles - also allows you to
climb Mt. Whitney.  In addition you need a fire permit for the State
of California, unless you aren't going to carry a stove or make any
campfires (generally frowned on for/by thru-hikers).  To enter Canada
you'll need a passport (assuming you're from the US) and a special
form that is mailed ahead.  All of these have their relavant dates
and timelines.  None of the forms are very difficult, but do require
a bit of forethought.

good luck - Kent