[pct-l] thru hikers or section hikers with one kidney?

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 08:09:39 CST 2008

I don't have one kidney, but do have some medical expertise.  In most
instances, this should not be a big concern.  The things I would think about
would be:
    1.  Maintain hydration.  Keep your urine looking slightly yellow-tinged.
    2.  Minimize Ibuprofen use.  The class of drugs known as NSAIDS decrease
renal blood flow.  Not a big issue when one is well-hydrated, but in the
portions of the hike where staying hydrated is more difficult, use Tylenol
instead.
    3.  Watch out for tea-colored urine.  This could result from muscle
break-down.  These large myoglobin molecules are damaging to the kidney.  It
should be a warning sign to you to back off on the strenuous hiking and
hydrate.
    4.  Practise good hygiene to avoid a UTI (urinary tract infection).  You
might (depending on how worried you are) ask your physician for a
prescription to treat one should it occur while hiking.
Hope this helps.
Elderly Ellen