[pct-l] Permits

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Nov 28 09:03:59 CST 2008

Kent Spring wrote:
> Brad and Len point out the sites where you can get the basics.  It
> may not be obvious though that the thru-permit - which requires you
> to have the intent of hiking 500 or more miles - also allows you to
> climb Mt. Whitney.

No, it does not, but a Whitney permit can be obtained at the same time,
and will become part of your PCT permit. If you don't apply for the
Whitney permit, your PCT permit will not allow you to climb Whitney.

> In addition you need a fire permit for the State of California,
> unless you aren't going to carry a stove

If I understand correctly, a stove, particularly an alcohol stove, fits
within the definition of an open fire on the California fire permit. I
believe you need the permit just to use a stove.

> To enter Canada you'll need a passport (assuming you're from the US)

A passport is not required to enter Canada. At this time one is not
required to re-enter the USA via ground transportation, though it will
make the process simpler. The passport requirement could change at any
time. If you do not have a passport, have a driver's license and an
original copy of your birth certificate with you.