[pct-l] The cost of hiking

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Nov 28 10:26:19 CST 2008

A surprisingly hefty expense was post office business. If you can
minimize that, you'll save.

A huge and avoidable expense for me was a rental car I got to go from
Bishop to Santa Barbara. If you feel like quitting the trail, don't
do it in Bishop. You can't get anywhere from there. Well, not easily,
cheaply and southward at the same time.

And as nice as it sounds from the comfort of your home to avoid
staying in motels, I don't know that I could have avoided it. It was
the siren song of a hot shower and the promise of a few hours
completely supine in front of the TV that got me to shell out the
bucks. Plus I needed a safe place to store and spread out all my
stuff while I resupplied. As time went on, however, I did get into
the groove of the trail and being a vagabond so I think if I had
continued longer on the trail, that expense would have diminished.

On the plus side, train travel home was surprisingly inexpensive and
comfortable. I recommend it to anyone looking for a way home who can
do that by train.