[pct-l] Higher Cost of Section Hiking

Kenneth Schwarz ksksksks at cox.net
Fri Nov 28 13:13:52 CST 2008

The cost of section hiking the entire PCT can vary
greatly depending on where you live, how many
sections you hike, what transportation you use,
and where you stay when off the trail. Living in So.
Calif., I needed  5 flights to Seatlle (with connections
from Vancouver, Wenatchee, and Yakima), 2 from
Portland (with connections to Bend), 2 to Medford, and
10 to Sacramento. I needed rental cars for almost all of these flights. In Southern California, I used my own car, but
would often need my wife to drive out and pick me up.
I needed to minimize my time away from my work, so I
was not able to economize on transportation. It's hard
to estimate my total expenses, but I'm sure that they
are far greater than those of a through-hike.