[pct-l] The cost of hiking

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Sat Nov 29 13:19:47 CST 2008

Breezed this thread and not sure if I saw this, but for myself the biggest
expense for long distance hiking is the loss of salary.   If I could off-set
that loss with a dramatic cutting back of expenses it would help to minimize
the impact.  However, with a mortgage wife and two children those expenses
continue whether I am working or not.   When it comes to the expense of the
hike, I could argue it is about free.  I would eat regardless of whether I
was hiking or not.   Not as much for sure, but not as cheap either.  I guess
if I averaged in the occasional hotel and in town restaurants, it would be
more expensive than being at home.  Not by much though, as I am also not
taking on new home projects or toys that I would likely be buying if I
stayed home.

All that being said, the loss of income with continued expenses at home is
the big one.   I would guess to say that at the end of a thru-hike I would
have $28,000 less in savings than when I started.

Pink Gumby