[pct-l] Higher Cost of Section Hiking

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sat Nov 29 22:26:41 CST 2008

While the costs of transportation to and from the trail are usually much
higher for section hiking than for thru hiking; other costs can be lower.
There can be savings on mailing/shipping resupply boxes and bounce box
since fewer resupplies will be needed. Food may be cheaper because it is
easier to buy ahead for a few weeks than for a few months.

For those earning a living, the big savings will be in lost income.
Saving up vactaion time for a year or two will permit longer section
hikes with no loss in income or benefits; nor will there be the concerns
about finding employment once the hike is over.

As with everything in life, one weighs the costs and benefits the best
one can, then make your decision.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>