[pct-l] Tents and other items

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 17:39:54 CST 2008

Any shelter or rain gear can be damaged, whether through accident, our own foolishness, or nature dropping a limb through it. I make a habit of carrying a repair kit for all but the shortest (overnight) hikes. Just be sure your repair kit's functionality matches the type of material you may want to patch. McNett makes several different field repair kits, usually available at REI and other outdoor stores. For the Gatewood, you'll need a silnylon repair kit.

Once you set up your ponchotarp as a shelter, you have nothing left to wear if you must leave your shelter during the rain. For most three season hikes, and assuming your surroundings allow, nudity is suggested. Your skin is totally waterproof and dries quickly on a bandana upon return to your shelter.

That said, I own a Double Rainbow and a Lunar Solo E, which I used in Yosemite last summer. As much as I like the LSE for solo trips, I'm adding a Gatewood Cape and Serenity Net Tent for next summer's JMT trek. That combination will save me 9 ounces on the shelter and another 6 oz for the rain jacket I leave home; a total of 15 ounces saved.