[pct-l] SuperSecretes of Backpacking - Sanitation

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Oct 1 13:56:16 CDT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> You're actually correct on that statement...more people get sick
> from sanitation issues than contaminated water. For whatever
> reason, people seem to forget that they still need to wash their
> hands when in the wilderness....

Not just in the wilderness, either. I got really sick in South Lake
Tahoe because I bought a melon, cut off a slice with my pocket knife
which I never washed, and then left the melon in my hotel room. I cut
off another slice later in the day and became very sick within 30
minutes. I was sick for 24 hours after that. Funny that I never got
sick on the trail.