[pct-l] Lightweight Shelter and Pack

Broc Mohon brocmohon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 15:25:20 CDT 2008

I'm currently planning a solo thru hike in 09'. From what I've seen and
heard, there are a lot of options for what to carry. No matter what you
decide on taking, somebody will disagree with it in some way. Everybody has
their own opinions and comfort level. I guess that's why they often say,
"Hike Your Own Hike". Even though my choices may say otherwise, I know I'm
personally not hiking to showcase my gear. The best thing to do is try out
as many options as you can. Find out what works for you. What you're willing
to sacrifice for weight/comfort on the trail and in camp. Instead of
worrying about choosing your gear, take the time to play around with it. You
can get some great ideas from other people. But they're just ideas. Don't
settle on 1 option because it worked for whomever or it's the most popular
choice... It's also a good idea to do some practice trails with a full pack.
I did the River to River Trail (Ohio River to the Mississippi River, about
190 miles) in Illinois. Even though the distance doesn't even come close
in comparison to the PCT... I got a much better idea of what I do need, what
I don't need, and how it feels on my back.

After trying out a few shelters and tents, I decided that the MSR Hubba is
the best for me. The reasons behind that are... It's lightweight at a
minimum weight of 2 lbs 12 oz. It's very versatile. It's a freestanding
tent, but can also be pitched with just the rain fly and footprint for a
basic shelter. The tent body is all mesh, which is way more comfortable for
me rather than sleeping with a bug net. It's also great for those beautiful
nights because I'm able to see in every direction. And it's a good
compromise for weight and space inside. I happen to like that I can sit up
to change out of my wet clothes if needed. Sleeping in a bivy or a floor
less tent, doesn't do it for me.

As far as a pack... I decided that the Osprey Atmos 65 works best for me.
There are packs that weigh less, but usually aren't as durable or
comfortable when you have to carry more food and water. Given that problems
can happen with anything that you carry... I like the Atmos because it's
light and durable. A men's large weighs in at about 3lbs 13 oz and has 4200
cu in for storage. (That's before I got a chance to trim everything down.) I
know that I won't use that entire space a lot of the time, but for the times
that I do, I know I have enough room without struggling to fit everything
in just right. I also like the hip belt. It makes carrying those heavier
loads much easier for me. I do agree with the pack being the last thing you
buy. It makes a lot of sense to acquire everything that you think you'll
take, take all of that into a outdoor store, see if it all fits and is still
comfortable on your back.

GOOD LUCK!