[pct-l] Sanitation

RJ Lewis karmagurl at bektel.com
Thu Oct 2 07:22:41 CDT 2008

Heh, on the issue of valley fever.....my hubby and I worked in the deep,
high deserts of AZ and NV for 2 years+ crushing gravel for various road
and construction projects, often mining out virgin (never been opened
before) gravel pits-- leaving us at a HIGH exposure for valley fever.
And yes, our entire crew contracted this unique illness, as well as our
pets. Valley fever often leaves few if any symptoms- most folks don't
even get ill. Pets can get ill, and young pets can even die from it.
Symptoms often mimic lung cancer, if a chest xray is taken- this is what
happened to our crew foreman. He went to Reno for a check-up and they
mistakenly thought the poor man had lung cancer!! (no kidding) After a
biopsy and surgery, they found out the poor man had valley
fever......(poor guy!) and he had gotten a HUGE scare for nothing.

 Valley Fever is untreatable and there is no vaccine for it. Just an FYI.

Alot of hiker illness is often contracted by sharing GORP and other
foods between each other, if you don't indeed get giardia. Treat suspect
water and don't share food /gorp bags.

Soul Sista