[pct-l] SuperSecrets of Backpacking - Shelter Security

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 21:08:58 CDT 2008

I forgot to mention this before.  I think I remember someone talking about the difficulty of keeping the Hubba tent tied down in a storm.  One way to add lots of strength is to use Velcro straps.  I have the normal super light shelter stakes.  No problem there.  But sometimes the ground is hard or the wind is strong or both.

Just get some super light Velcro straps (hook and loop straps) and put a long loop at each stake out point around the shelter.  Since they are adjustable, you just find some nice rocks and use them to backup the stakes or instead of the stakes.  Works great.  Adjust the Velcro strap around the rock tightly and you have an instant strong point for shelter tie down.  I have used several rocks (at each stake point) on the wind side of the shelter on Mt. Whitney and never had the shelter move one inch.  And you know how strong the wind can get on the Mt. Whitney trail.

Your hiking pal, Switchback the Trail Pirate