[pct-l] Mosquitoes

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 12:19:20 CDT 2008

Re: Does anything help with mosquitoes problems? Luck (not being where they are); spraying your clothes (Sawyer's or similar); DEET (sometimes repeated applications); wearing long-sleeved shirts and full-length pants (treated); wind; camping away from worst sources; and netting (tent, head, mitts, etc.).  I have to admit that although I have encountered huge mosquitoes in Alaska and persistent ones on the PCT, I probably have not seem the worst conditions. Good luck.
Susan Alcorn

Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
http://www.backpack45.com/   Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers.