[pct-l] Mosquitoes

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Oct 4 09:44:19 CDT 2008

On Oct 3, 2008, at 8:31 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Subject: [pct-l] Mosquitoes

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a couple of guys on the
trail. We were discussing techniques for pooping in mosquito country.

- My technique was to squat and fan myself and be quick about it.
- One of the other guys would dig his hole at night before he went to
bed so it would be all ready for him in the morning. He could go
quickly before the mosquitos found him.
- The other guy said he digs his hole, then walks about 10 feet away
and waits for the mosquitos to find him. Then he runs back to his
hole and does his business as quickly as possible before they find
him again.

Anyway, for general mosquito protection, long pants and sleeves and a
head net work wonders. I didn't have any particular brand of any of
these items. I was amazed at how few people had head nets. I would be
hiking along in my head net and boy scouts, paragons of
unpreparedness for actual conditions, would be slapping their necks
and eyeing me with envy.

My last defense, or rather my refuge, was my tent. It was the only
way I could eat dinner in peace. Oh how I loved the safety of my
tent! Finally I could sit and relax, all those mosquitos frustrated
and unable to reach me.

Oh, and if you can tolerate one more story from me. I have rarely
been "back east". I have heard horror stories about mosquitos there.
And people from there who come "out west" are so envious of our
relatively bug-free lives. Anyway, I finally went back east a few
years ago to Long Island in the summer. I was visiting with some
family and sitting outside in the hot tub when one lone mosquito
started buzzing around the group. I swatted him away but he flew over
to the others. Finally someone noticed him and everyone screamed.
Mosquitos! The all got out of the hot tub declaring that the fun was
over and went inside. I remained outside and hardly saw more than
about 3. So if that's what you east-coasters think constitutes
mosquitos, yes, they are much worse on the PCT. Imagine swarms.

~Piper