[pct-l] Pct-l Bugs and Cooling

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Oct 4 16:57:01 CDT 2008

PostHoler wrote: Not being a fan of DEET, I use a headnet and light, breatheable, clothing that mosquitos can't penetrate. But you *need* something. You will find mosquitos in varying hordes all along the PCT, especially the Sierra's and Cascades. If you time it right, you'll find them in annoying quantities on San Jacinto. So be prepared for the martyrs at all times.
Switchback replies: Of course, as you can guess that I have a small spray bottle of Deet for bugs.  I keep it in a small plastic bag with a rubber band around it.  With the bottle half full, the whole thing weighs in at 1.6 ounces with bag and rubber band.

I find my SunPrecautions.com hiking clothing is good against the bugs too besides the sun.  A super light headnet over their sun hat with full drape is fantastic.

Speaking of cooling on the trail, the above clothing and hat are outstanding in protecting you from heat.  The Super Ventilation Shirt in white is one of most useful pieces of clothing I have ever found in 40 years in backpackerdom.  Cool in heat and warm in a strong wind with their hat.  And under a jacket it is wonderful.  There are all types of combinations you can use these two pieces of clothing out on the trail

Also, if you use an umbrella for the heat, I find that bugs do not like that at all.