[pct-l] Newbie to PCT

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Sun Oct 5 14:26:23 CDT 2008

I have walked about 70% of the Cal PCT and 55% or the OR PCT and maybe 5
miles of the AT. I agree with the info below, and have some additional
comments:

1. There are many stretches of the PCT where you will be a lot further from
roads or re-supply than you were on the AT. Plan for that; if you do, it's
easily  manageable.
2. You will be at higher altitutes and experience shortness of breath and
maybe headaches, and could experience other low incidence more severe side
effects. You will need to acclimate. If you walk from Tehachapi Pass
nothward into the High Sierra, you will naturally have time to acclimate as
you go higher. If you do sections in  the Sierra, make sure you have an easy
first day with a night at high altitute before pressing onward. After the
first or second experience, you should not need this for the rest of the
season.
3. There are virtually no shelters along the trail to sleep in. (There are a
handful of exceptions if you stop at the right location.) Be prepared to
camp overnight in the rain.
4. It is my understanding that there are steeper slopes on the AT and more
switchbacks on the PCT. Be patient and enjoy the scenery.
6. The clinate is drier and you will sweat less!

Hopefully, someone who has walked both, will provide additional comments
with more depth.

Enjoy your hiking,

Pieces