[pct-l] How late can one start the PCT and expect to finish.

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Oct 18 13:20:44 CDT 2008

I met a guy at Dorothy Lake in northern Yosemite in 1994 who had started
about the 1st of June, and was only a couple days behind the small pack
that hiked that year that had started a month earlier.  He'd discovered
Ray Jardine's book, "The pacific crest trail hiker's handbook" and
bought Ray's way hook line and sinker, and was hiking 25 to 30 mpd.
When I asked how it was he was covering so much ground he said, "I don't
hike any faster than anyone else - I just hike more hours."

I remember this because it made sense.  So, it would seem if  you're
willing to hike from dawn to dusk every day, or average around 12 hours
a day, you could beat the weather in the northern cascades...  Just an
opinion of course...

Jeff Olson
Martin, SD

Greetings, this is Todd