[pct-l] Ray Jardine's Quilt

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 21 23:09:37 CDT 2008

I am thinking about sending for the Ray Jardine's Quilt Kit.  He makes it sound like a smart move both in his book Beyond Backpacking and on his WEB Site.  I am seeking feedback from others who have taken it out on the PCT.

I am also looking at ultra-light backpacks such as Rays, the GoLite Jam 2, Six Moons Comet, the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and others. I currently haul a Ospry Talon.   My problem is that once I fill a bear vault with 5 days to a weeks worth of food, plus a base weight of 20-25 lbs, I am up around 35-45 lbs.  My impression is that this is a lot of weight for one of these packs.  I have also been known to "plop" down none-to-gently and fall back to rest with the pack still on.  I am concerned as to the "ruggedness" of some of these packs.  Your experiences are hereby solicited.  Thanks.

Shepherd