[pct-l] Ray Jardine's Quilt

Postholer public at postholer.com
Wed Oct 22 00:38:40 CDT 2008

> I am thinking about sending for the Ray Jardine's Quilt Kit. I am
> seeking feedback from others who have taken it out on the PCT.

In '02 made a quilt similar to Jardines using 2" Polar Guard 3D and nylon
shell. When it dipped into the 20's and low 30's, I was *cold*. You can
increase performance by wearing all of your layers. (My 2nd night on the
trail on Mt. Laguna it was 22 degrees!!!)

In potentially wet conditions, syntethic is a must.

With the wide availability of lightweight, warm down bags, a 15 degree
Marmot Helium is all I ever carry at just under 2lbs. My quilt weighs 4oz's
less. You will find a 15 degree bag miserablely warm on a warm summer night,
though.

-postholer