[pct-l] " Base weights . . . " Six

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Oct 25 17:02:09 CDT 2008

Wow, that is some story about your first day on the trail! I had not
heard any warnings about camping near the beginning and I actually
camped around mile 9. So when I did the Hauser creek/Hauser mountain
area it was early morning with cool weather. I did carry a ton of
water, but there was actually a little water up beyond Hauser Mountain.

As far as going ultralight on water, I look back at my notes and it
seems I carried more water than I needed almost all the time. I
rarely ran out of water. Too often I walked by creeks and sources
with all my containers full. How silly of me. Despite there being a
water report, there were many sources I did not feel comfortable
trusting, especially caches. (Damn the caches to hell, except for the
ones that saved my butt.) Now that I have been there and seen what I
am capable of, I think I might be able to let go of my insecurity
with water a little. I mean, I would feel I needed to fill 5 liters
if there was a 15 mile space without water. How silly. I now see that
15 miles isn't even a whole day. 20 miles isn't even enough to get
worried about if the source at mile 20 is going to come near dinner
time. No need to be just like Nimblewill Nomad, but he did offer
something I could learn from.

Well, live and learn. There's a reason to go back. More lessons to
learn. More insecurities to shed.