[pct-l] bounce bucket

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Oct 26 14:57:50 CDT 2008

I ship regular resupply packages to myself so don't need (or want to fool with) a bounce box. Bounce boxes are for items whose time of need can not be pre-determined and so can not be added to any given re-supply package.

The severity of any consequence of not having something at the exact time it is needed should govern how you handle the logistics for that item. For example, while I can see well enough to safely travel, I can not read a map, compass, guidebook, even most trail signs without my glasses - everything printed is a blurred mass. Therefore, I carry a 2nd pair of glasses in a hard case with me at all times. I have to just suck up the extra weight. On the other hand, loss or exhaustion of my prescription is not life-threatening, so refills go into the time-appropriate re-supply box (or I could bounce them).

A little common sense here: bounce boxes are shipped to specific locations, not to some trail-side pine tree in the middle of nowhere. Logic suggests that wherever there is a post office, there is also some sort of town or store in the immediate vicinity wherein you can reasonably expect to be able to buy most of the items you'll need.  Ergo - bounce ONLY those items that you can not reasonably expect to be available for purchase where you pick up your bounce box.

Several excellent examples of bounce box items have already been listed. To these I'll add: hardware-specific memory cards, unusual sizes or types of batteries, spare prescription eyeware, medicinal prescription refills, battery chargers. Yes, the exact time of need for most prescription refills can be determined ahead of time, but if you're not using re-supply boxes, they will either have to sent as a separate item to a specific location or be bounced.

Note that ice axes and crampons are not good candidates for a bounce box, partly because of their mass and weight. Send them to the access point closest to the area of anticipated need and carry them from there until you need them (if at all).

And remember the cardinal rule of bounce boxes: to send your box to someplace where there is no outgoing mail (or parcel) service is to be stuck with it. (aka - do your homework ahead of time).

Wandering Bob