[pct-l] plant identification/botany on the PCT/ regarding thingsedible

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Oct 27 21:28:03 CDT 2008

Good evening, Julian,

Any technical investigation on the trail can be rewarding -- whether it's
animal, vegetable, mineral, astronomical, meteorological, environmental,
etc. -- provided you don't have to carry several pounds of reference books
and provided it doesn't take a bunch of time. Actually finding something
useful in the way of sustenance can be especially rewarding because it
gives one the feeling of competence.

Unfortunately, from the practical standpoint of providing 4000-6000
Calories/per day for your body, there really isn't much out there worth the
time to gather or catch. You may find some plants that can be eaten as
cooked greens or as salad, and there will be the ubiquitous huckleberries in
the Pacific NW, but usually there just isn't much available; and what is
available probably won't be very good by our modern standards.  Most often
finding some edible wild stuff just doesn't pass the all-important, "So
what?" test.  My general rule is: If anything out there was really good to
eat you'd find it for sale at Safeway.

I do recall a notable exception:  One hiker last year chopped a handful of
wild onions into his hiker-slop as it cooked, and the resulting aroma was
really great.  That had to have been a worthwhile thing to do considering it
probably only took 30 seconds to grab a handful of onions as he passed
through a meadow.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^