[pct-l] Water Capacity in Desert

Postholer public at postholer.com
Wed Oct 29 12:11:23 CDT 2008

they're cheap, replaceable, and indestructible...you said it!

1 liter bottles are a perfect choice for everywhere but the desert. My
persoanl choice in the desert is 4 Aquafina 1.5 liter water bottles. That is
a pepsi brand, any store that carrys pepsi will likely have aquafina water.
Note, 1 liter pepsi bottles and 1 liter aquafina bottles are identical.

Always carry an extra cap in case you lose one.

After much use of bladders for hiking and biking, I quit using them long
ago. They must be cleaned, there is *always* an after taste and they are
havens for bacteria if not properly cleaned. With bottles you recycle them
every couple weeks and get new ones.

The Sierra dipper isn't useful in my opinion. If you're at a water source in
the Sierra's, you're either crossing it or getting water from it. Having a
cup readily handy just wasn't realistic for me.

Like Steel-Eye says, AsABats's water page is the most useful resource on the
internet for SoCal PCT hikers:
http://www.4jeffrey.net/pctwater.

On a side note, Steel-Eye says:
It [gear] should be good, it should be lite, and it should be inexpensive.
With rare exceptions, we can only have two of those at any one time.

I would strongly disagree. With exceptions of a lightweight sleeping bag,
good quality items can be purchased or made cheaply, be it a pack, home made
tarp, home made bug shelter, etc. None of it has to be expensive, so don't
be thru-wallet and believe it does.

YMMV

-postholer

how much water do I need to carry? ...what kind of capacity do
others carry?  Also, I was thinking about only bringing 1 liter soda
bottle because they're cheap, replaceable, and indestructible, and maybe
a sierra cup to use as a dipper for shallow springs/sources.