[pct-l] Water Capacity in Desert

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 14:56:59 CDT 2008

Gary,

I agree with you on this.  And I would go so far as to say that there is even a difference in relying on water caches and utilizing water caches.  Many thru-hikers claim that they do not rely on water caches, however, with all of these caches published on AsABat's water report, I believe that the large majority of hikers these days plan their requirements around these published water sources, even though they are considered water caches.

In 2006 I made a personal choice not to utilize the water caches in SoCal, and I carried 8 liters of water on several different stretches that I can remember and was very glad I did.

With regards to hydration I actually found that my preference was to drink a full liter at a time rather than sip via a hydration sleeve.  I dumped my hydration sleeve after the first day.  For me it was a pain in the butt to refill and I did not have a good idea of how much water I had left.  I also found that sipping water was not as refreshing.

This is again one of the areas that I think a bit of pre-hike prep is must valuable.  Based on my time on the trail I believe I now need to drink much less water when I hike simply because I camel up before the hike and utilize other means to wet the whistle.

Elevator

From: Gary Wright <gwtmp01 at mac.com>