[pct-l] Water Capacity in Desert

virgil virgil at baloney.com
Wed Oct 29 15:04:12 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 12:32:20 Gary Wright wrote:

> In hot weather, when not using water caches, I think it would be
> wise to be able to carry 7-8 liters of water.  With those constraints
> it is also very important to not hike during the heat of the day.  Get
> up early, take a long siesta, hike late.

Indeed.  Sometimes even without those constraints a siesta is nice. :)

If one doesnt want to rely on the cache at the 3rd gate in the San Felippe
Hills or the cache at Bicycle Springs, then there are a couple of ~22 mile
stretches without water - another alternative is to hike those stretches at
night - a full moon in the San Filippe hills is quite pleasant.

But one thing I've never been clear on, do fire tanks count as caches?  Or is
it just when when the water is in plastic jugs?

--
"I came into this game for adventure - go anywhere, travel light, get in, get
out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

Robert De Niro as Harry Tuttle in Brazil.